With the price tag going down, TIME finds that several GOPers could sign on to the bill.
1. Ohio Sen. George Voinovich
2. Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski
3. Indiana Sen. Richard Lugar
4. Michigan Rep. Fred Upton
5. Delaware Rep. Mike Castle
6. Pennsylvania Rep. Jim Gerlach
This obviously won’t make the legislation truly bi-partisan, but if some Republicans do switch it gives Obama a big win because it demonstrates that he actually gained some additional bi-partisan support by compromising on things like health care and school construction funding.
More as it develops…