Obama's Approval Drops Significantly From 2nd To 3rd Quarter

Obama's Approval Drops Significantly From 2nd To 3rd Quarter


Can you believe it’s 9 points?

Here’s the graph from Gallup:

This creates a bit of an interesting predicament. Should Obama simply push forward with his initiatives and let the polls be damned or can he risk losing independents in front of a tough 2012 fight? I guess it depends on whether or not he can lose independents or not.

Still, this drop isn’t the largest in a President’s first term. That honor is still held by Harry Truman and I doubt anybody will be beating him soon…

-19% in 6 months time?


  • Alistair


    I don’t think it’s as bad as you think considering the drop the President Bill Clinton had in at the end of 1993.

  • http://centristcoalition.com/blog/ kranky kritter

    I have poreviously looked at historical approval rating changes for all modern Presidents. Obama’s numbers aren’t surprising or out of the ordinary. In fact, my review of the data made me fully expect to see precisely this trend.

    I think Obama has to and will substantially stay his course. Why? Well, the alternative hypothesis seems to be that he could somehow protect his remaining support or supplement it by backing down and . let’s face it, thereby accomplish nothing of real note. It seems extraordinarily unlikely to me that backing down or substantially changing course will pad his positives.

    I read his remaining 53% as saying “keep going.” Of the other 47%, how many of these folks are at all likely to change their minds and approve of his admin if he backs off or changes course? Not that many at all, IMO.

  • http://detroitskeptic.com/blogs Nick Benjamin

    kk’s right.

    Most Presidents lose a lot of support between inauguration day and their first year in office. The reason is simple: on inauguration day the new guy has not actually done anything. All the people who voted for him still like him, and the other party is usually willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

    Now Obama’s been heavily involved in a health care debate, passed a stimulus that moderates hate, etc.

    BTW, his cote total last November was 53%. So ifb he’s alienated some moderates he’s apparently brought enough others on-side to make up the difference.