BBC locks some online content to Microsoft Windows

July 27, 2007

BBC locks some online content to Microsoft Windows The BBC has launched a new version of the iPlayer which is now tied to Microsoft Windows.  This means that you must be running a supported version of Windows in order to view certain online content.

Of course the Linux community and supporters of the OLPC are complaining about this, DRM this, Microsoft that, Bill Gates this, Bill Gates that.  The truth is, all of this is just a whisper and will soon be forgotten or I hope it is anyway.

One of the complaints mentioned is and I quote “No chance then for the millions of the worlds poorest children who are about to receive the One Laptop per Child (OLPC) computer to be able to view BBC educational programming.”  Well, first of all, they’ll be lucky to have a connection to the Internet and secondly, I think watching content on the BBC website won’t even in the top 100 concerns, in my opinion.

Besides, I’m not complaining, ~85% of the world runs Windows so not many people are going to be affected and the other 15% are going to complain, they’re going to whine but most of those are Mac and Linux users but I do not know one Mac or Linux user that doesn’t have their own PC running Windows and that reduces the numbers even further.

The point is a minority are affected by this and the solution is to go buy a cheap off the shelf desktop (or laptop) with Windows installed and magically, the problem is solved.  Then there is the whole anti-DRM camp so you won’t be able to save a streaming video (or something I’m missing), so what, the BBC wants to protect their “free” online content, I can’t really blame them for that.

As with all systems, someone will find a way around it but I don’t care, I’ll happily view the BBC site using Microsoft© Windows Vista™, DRM overtones present, thank you very much I’m okay with that, not that I’ve had problems with DRM before.  Oh right… all those open source players and OGG, can’t say I care about those either.

Be Sociable, Share!

5 Responses to “BBC locks some online content to Microsoft Windows”

  1. University Update - Bill Gates - BBC locks some online content to Microsoft Windows:

    [...] Contact the Webmaster Link to Article bill gates BBC locks some online content to Microsoft Windows » Posted at [...]

  2. a:

    Fools don’t care about anything in general, just happy to live their lives from one day to another, not thinking about what it all means. Enjoy the bliss, while you can.

  3. Ole Juul:

    “The point is a minority are affected by this…”

    No. That is not the point. I suggest you find out what the point is. You could start with checking out the BBCs mandate. Besides, 15% is a lot of people.

    “… and the solution is to go buy a cheap off the shelf desktop (or laptop) with Windows installed and magically, the problem is solved.”

    That, sir, is just plain insulting. Not everybody has lots of money and not everybody wants to send money to a foreign company. Nor does everyone have the technical know how to do this for cheap. Some, like me, can find a free computer at the dump, but still we need you to send us a pirated copy of XP ….

  4. Chris Taylor:

    I know this is late but I just read the article and living in England I have a real problem with this.

    “… and the solution is to go buy a cheap off the shelf desktop (or laptop) with Windows installed and magically, the problem is solved.”

    British residents who fund the BBC through a mandatory (if you own any hardware capable of receiving TV) Television License should not have to fork out for a Windows XP license or forget the whole thing. The point is that people who pay the license fee and use a Mac, Linux or Vista cannot (at present) use the iPlayer. This isn’t just about ‘I don’t use Windows’, this is about a publicly funded corporation ignoring 15% (author’s figure) of the people funding it!

    NOTE: no, I don’t have a problem with people outside the UK using the iPlayer when I cannot, just making a point.

  5. David Legg:

    I know lots of people who only have Linux PCs or Macs and no Windows. Furthermore, the number of active, Internet using, Linux users appeared to double last year according to some stats.

Leave a Reply:


Recent stories

Featured stories

RSS Windows news

RSS Mac news

RSS iPad news

RSS iPhone & Touch

RSS Mobile technology news

RSS Tablet computer news

RSS Buying guides

RSS PS3/Wii/Xbox 360

RSS Green technology

RSS Photography

Featured Content

Archives

Copyright © 2014 Blorge.com NS