Opera and Safari both have their places on Mac and Windows but both are less extensible than Firefox is which makes that browser more useful in my opinion. This is a continuation of our previous post “5 add-ons to make Firefox safer and faster.” These add-ons aren’t necessarily for security reasons or to make it faster but they do enhance it in one way or another.
The previous add-ons, in case you didn’t want to read that post were:
The first four of those are almost essential for every Firefox user to have, the theme is a personal preference. Here are five more add-ons that are worthy of your consideration.
1. Restart Firefox, this little add-on puts a “restart Firefox” button on a toolbar of your choice. This allows you to restart Firefox with one click after installing/uninstalling themes or add-ons. Very handy for those who like to experiment with things that may not be kept.
2. Resizeable Form Fields, when a form field is too small or too big, resize it. This is a feature that is part of Apple’s Safari browser and this add-on brings it to Firefox. If a form field isn’t the size you need, you will be able to expand or shrink it based on how big or small you need it.
3. PicLens, it makes browsing photos from within Firefox oh so much easier (and pretty). It provides you a 3D view and lines a virtual “wall” with the images related to your search. Scroll along to see them all. I like this so much that I wish there were an offline version that did this for images on stored on the hard drive.
4. How’d I get Here? This has happened to all of us. You’ve been browsing a website and followed link after link but now you want to go back to the original source. Where is it? How’d I get Here to the rescue, it will take you back to the originating page so you don’t need to click “back” a million times. It even works if the link was opened in a new tab.
5. Fission. What can I say about this one? Fission has one purpose and only one purpose, it ads a page loading “progress” bar to the URL field. It’s very similar to a Safari feature. I like this because it ads a little bit of flare to Firefox. This may be down to personal preference but I thought I’d share it with you.
Fission looks better when used with the Vista-Aero theme. I tried pairing it with several made for Firefox “OSX Safari” themes but the two didn’t mesh well with each other.
Are there any add-ons/themes you would like to share with us? Drop a comment or contact us.