One in five Americans don’t want Internet at home

June 18, 2009

One in five Americans don’t want Internet at home A recent report from Pew Research showed that broadband usage grew to 63 percent of U.S. households from 55 percent. So why are 21 percent of American adults shaking their fists angrily because they don’t want Internet at home?

The study showed a surprising leap of 8 percent growth in broadband usage among American households despite the economic crisis. This was especially surprising based on lackluster growth during the previous year.

There are still a number of groups that are slow to adopt broadband in their homes. These groups include senior citizens, those with low income, high school graduates, older Baby Boomers and those in rural areas.

The groups with the strongest pattern of broadband adoption are high-income Americans and college graduates. Over four out of five adults in these groups are likely to have a home broadband connection.

Another 7 percent of Americans are still using dial-up Internet connections, a number that has plummeted by half since last year. Of these users, 83 percent have broadband access available and are not interested in switching for one reason or another.

All together, the total between current users of broadband, those still on dial-up and the people who aren’t interested in getting online make up 91 percent of the population. That leaves only 9 percent potential growth of broadband connectivity until the population shifts.

So what is it about the Internet that leaves one out of every five completely disinterested in getting online? Most are just plain not interested, though some cannot get Internet access and others don’t own a computer to get online.

For many people that get their news and interact with friends online, this may seem like a strange notion. However it shows a large demographic of U.S. consumers cannot be reached via online advertising. It also looks like many brands may continue spending on television ads for a few more years to come.

why-not

Be Sociable, Share!

One Response to “One in five Americans don’t want Internet at home”

  1. jason:

    Ironically i had to put in a email address as a required field to send this. I come froma background of being a unix administrator for over 15 years, and many years as dealing with NT or M$ products as well. Recently i decided to delete my facebook, delete my myspace page.. and now im actually wanting to delete and have no email. I might even decide to have no internet at all. I just feel its similar to pagers and the other stuff.. its something thats not required for life and we did fine without it before it came along and i feel its become overly popular to the point where people are forcing it on me/you. Windows live is a example.. want to play a game? sorry you cant just buy it and take it home and install it.. you have to connect online to validate it.. dont want to? ok then go online and visit this web page to validate it. Oh.. ok so you went ahead and did that? ok.. to SAVE your game you have to have a windows live account and have it running.. ok.. thats just bullshit you know.. its gone to far. when having internet becomes a requirement instead of a choice i dont want it or want nothing to do with it. By the way i also use to own one of the very first dial up ISPs in my area too.. go figure. If my bank starts saying i have to have one.. im going to be pissed. revolution anyone? lol

Leave a Reply:


Recent stories

Featured stories

RSS Windows news

RSS Mac news

RSS iPad news

RSS iPhone & Touch

RSS Mobile technology news

RSS Tablet computer news

RSS Buying guides

RSS PS3/Wii/Xbox 360

RSS Green technology

RSS Photography

Featured Content

Archives

Copyright © 2014 Blorge.com NS