Spy In The White House: Leandro Aragoncillo
Former Philippine citizen, Leandro Aragoncillo worked with Al Gore in 2000. During that time he copied (stole) some documents concerning the President of the Philippines and then emailed them to the opposition party who was drawing up plans for a coup.
(Correction: I misread the story. He’s actually admitted to stealing documents while under Cheney’s watch. Not that this really matters. I was just leading into the story. My apologies. But that part about stealing documents about the President of the Philippines…yeah…that’s true.)
More from ABC News:
Officials say the classified material, which Aragoncillo stole from the vice president’s office, included damaging dossiers on the president of the Philippines. He then passed those on to opposition politicians planning a coup in the Pacific nation.
“Even though it’s not for the Russians or some other government, the fact that it occurred at the White House is a matter of great concern,” said John Martin, who was the government’s lead espionage prosecutor for 26 years.
Last year, after leaving the Marines, Aragoncillo was caught by the FBI while he worked for the Bureau at an intelligence center at Fort Monmouth, N.J.
According to a criminal complaint, Aragoncillo was arrested last month and accused of downloading more than 100 classified documents from FBI computers.
However, Aragoncillo’s spying wasn’t just during the Dems time. He did it while working for Cheney too.
Now here’s an interesting tidbit. He was arrested on September 10th! Why are we just finding out about this now?
The criminal complaint alleges that Aragoncillo, an FBI intelligence analyst since July 2004 at the Fort Monmouth Information Technology Center, used an FBI database to search, download and print classified documents concerning the Philippines.
Using personal Yahoo! and Hotmail accounts, Aragoncillo allegedly sent email messages, often with classified documents attached, to individuals in the Philippines, including current and former public officials of the Philippines. Those individuals are identified in the criminal complaint as Public Official #1, a former high-level public official; Public Official #2, a current high-level public official; and Public Official #3, a second current high-level public official.
The FBI database accessed by Aragoncillo contained, among other things, classified information and documents from the FBI, and other federal departments. Classified information is material that has been determined to require protection against unauthorized disclosure for reasons of national security and foreign relations. The three levels of classification are “Top Secret,” “Secret” and “Confidential.”
And here’s more info from PunditGuy about Aragoncillo’s vital stats.
Background ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Leandro Aragoncillo, 46
Home: Woodbury, NJ
Birthplace: Philippines, came to US in 1984
Citizenship: US, in 1991
Family: Wife and two children
Occupation: FBI Intelligence Analyst – Hired July 2004, suspended 12 Sept 2005
- Retired US Marine with 21 years service, 1983-2004. Gunnery Sergeant. Stationed in Japan, Guantanamo Bay, Quantico, VA, Assignment to the White House between 1999 and 2002 as “administration chief” of the security detail assigned to Vice President Cheney.
- Six Good Conduct Medals and a Humanitarian Service Medal
Arrested: Saturday, 10 September 2005
- Knowingly communicating classified information by a government employee to an agent or representative of a foreign country (i.e. receiving classified information).
- Acting as an agent of a foreign official without notification of the Attorney General in violation of Title 18 of the US Code, Section 951
- Unauthorized use of a government computer to obtain and transmit classified information
- Conspiracy to commit all of the above offenses in violation of Title 18 of the US Code Section 371.
Dates of Spying: January 2005 to August 2005
Possible Motivations: $500,000 in debts, mostly mortgages on rental properties
Ahh, the root of evil…