McCain VEEP Updates
1. McCain on Tim Pawlenty: “He’s a great, fine person. He was reelected in one of the toughest reelection years in the history of the Republican Party. He comes from â€” his father, I’m pretty sure, drove a truck. He’s a great success story. He’s been able to work across the aisle in Minnesota with the Democrats.”
2. Last week there were rumors floating around that McCain was “going to name his VP selection” while Obama was on his world tour to bring the spotlight back home. Since we knew that was never going to happen, I didn’t bother to report on it then, but it’s a nice “I told you so” this week. Instead McCain met with former President Bush, the Dali Lama and Lance Armstrong for his photo opps.
3. McCain outlines his VP philosophy: “I just want to assure you that we’re going through the process. There’s so many highly qualified people in our party, ranging — and I won’t mention names — but ranging from people who have been stalwarts in our party for a long time, and great governors and senators and business people. It’s a very tough decision. And I’ll just mention a couple of aspects, very quickly. First, you ought do no harm. First, you want to make sure you have a candidate that’s not going to burden the ticket. The second thing is, and I think it’s the key criteria, is it someone who shares your principles, your values, your philosophy and your priorities? The hardest thing for the president is to establish priorities. And I think we’re blessed with a wealth of candidates.”
4. Sources close to the McCain campaign report that the Senator has been meeting with Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty and Tom Ridge.
5. Tom Ridge will be featured with McCain at a July 31 fundraiser in Washington. At VicePresidents.com, we wrote about Ridge’s running mate potential back in January. Read more about him here!