Obama's VEEP Updates
1. Virginia Governor Tim Kaine told the Washington Post that he’s had “very serious conversations with Obama” regarding the vice presidency. On Fox News Sunday, The Weekly Standard’s William Kristol said he thinks Obama’s already decided on Kaine, adding that “there will be a secret meeting” with him on Tuesday. He added further speculation that Obama would likely head to Richmond August 4th to make his announcement.
2. Joe Biden and Kathleen Sebelius are also reportedly being seriously vetted.
3. Obama met with his VP vetters Monday for more than 3 hours, but as always — it’s hush-hush!
4. Obama discussed his VP philosophy with Meet The Press on Sunday: “I want somebody who I’m compatible with, who I can work with, who has a shared vision, who certainly complements me, in the sense that they provide a knowledge base or an area of expertise that can be useful. Because we’re going to have a lot of problems and a lot of work to do, I want somebody who’s going to be able to roll up their sleeves and really do some work. I’m going to want somebody with independence, who’s willing to tell me where he thinks or she thinks I’m wrong. We’re going to have a lot of problems and a lot of work to do, and I’m not interested in a vice president who I just send off to go to funerals.”
5. When he told Tom Brokaw, “We’ve got to fundamentally change not only our politics but how our politics works, how business is done in Washington,” Veep analysts immediately thought of outsiders Tim Kaine and Kathleen Sebelius, rather than a Bayh, a Biden, a Clinton or a Dodd — a pack that has an extensive history with business in Washington.