McCain Veep Updates
1. Mike Huckabee supporters were scheduled to meet with John McCain this past Wednesday. On their agenda? Convince McCain NOT to pick Mitt Romney for Veep! In addition to the meeting with 40 Huckabee supporters, McCain was also scheduled to meet with 10 social conservative activists and religious leaders around Michigan, reports the Detroit News.
2. Yesterday Tim Pawlenty appeared on Fox News:
NAUERT: Governor, your name is being thrown out an awful lot there about possibly being John McCain’s running mate. So, tell us what you could bring or what you would bring to John McCain’s team.
PAWLENTY: Well, I don’t talk about the vice president stuff, but thank you for asking, Heather, but in general, Senator McCain is going to have a lot of great people to look at.
He has so many strengths and such a strong leader in his own right, that I think he’s going to look for somebody who can, you know, strengthen him in terms of some geographic or policy consideration, somebody who shares his views and maybe his outlook for the country from a philosophical direction. Those are some of the general characteristics I’m sure he’ll consider.
NAUERT: OK, you’re not giving us anything there. But it is said that you two share a close relationship and, really, a political philosophy and style that’s the same.
PAWLENTY: Well, I think Senator McCain is a leader of enormous courage and epic abilities. I think the country is calling him out. They need somebody like him. I think he’s going to be a fantastic president for the United States of America.
3. Also yesterday, McCain told Carl Cameron he’s planning to pick his VP soon:
CAMERON: Youâ€™re running out of time for the vice presidential pick. Have you made up your mind yet?
MCCAIN: We havenâ€™t Carl, and weâ€™re still going through the process and
â€“ Iâ€™m not driven by Senator Obamaâ€™s schedule, but itâ€™s a very tonight thing to do. Iâ€™m working hard at it.
CAMERON: Presumably, youâ€™ve got to do it before the convention, his stands in the way before your own. It doesnâ€™t leave a lot of time â€” are you consumed by this decision if you havenâ€™t made it yet?
MCCAIN: Iâ€™m not consumed by it. But frankly, real straight talk, I hope that I can reach a decision soon. Itâ€™s â€” weâ€™ve got a whole lot of qualified men and women who I think would do a great job. So itâ€™s a tough process.
4. Remember Rob Portman? While no one’s been mentioning his name in the veepstakes lately, he’s still on the campaign trail, stumping for McCain. He appeared in Indiana this week, touting McCain as “the right person at a critical time.” He added, “The people in Indiana fit what John McCain represents, which is common sense and straight talk.”
5. While touring Pennsylvania this weekend, McCain pledged that, in his first 90 days of work, he’d “call Ridge to Washington and put him to work,” which has fueled speculation that Tom Ridge will be McCain’s #2, or serve some prominent function in a McCain administration.
6. An unnamed financial adviser reportedly told the Financial Times that McCain is seriously considering Joe Lieberman for VP.Â He said McCain “loves Lieberman. And he is on the list because Lieberman has never embarrassed anyone, never misspoken. The first rule is, don’t take someone who costs you votes.” The adviser added, ”Conservatives would be pissed as hell – I think you would have a revolt, but sometimes John does what John wants to do,” the adviser said.
7. According to Evangelical Conservative leader Richard Land, McCain’s vice presidential selection is crucial. He goes on to praise Sarah Palin of Alaska, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and Eric Cantor. He adds that (the pro-choice) Tom Ridge would be “a total catastrophe” and that Joe Lieberman would be ok in another role, but not as VP.