News Headlines for Independents
If you want to call it “fickle” to leave the two-party system behind in favor creating a new political culture, call me fickle!
- 2010: Fight for fickle kids (By: Eamon Javers, Politico) Stanford University political science professor Morris Fiorina is convinced that both political parties havenâ€™t yet grasped the scale of the change thatâ€™s happening in society. Republicans, he said, made the mistake of assuming that the divisions they exploited in the 2000-2004 elections were much deeper and more durable than they actually were â€” and were shocked by vote swings in 2006 and 2008 that would have seemed inconceivable in 2004. Not to mention, he said, â€œthe emergence of Obama out of nowhere.â€
Independent-turned-Democrat Joe Sestak plans to challenge veteran Republican-turned Democrat Sen. Arlen Specter in the 2010 Pennsylvania Democratic primary.
- Senate candidates from opposite sides use same strategy against Specter (By Reid Wilson, The Hill) Whether it is the outlier result of a single poll or the harbinger of inroads to come, Toomey actually leads Specter by a 46-42 percent margin among independent voters in a Quinnipiac University survey. The poll was conducted July 14-19.
- Sestak ready to announce he’ll take on Specter (By Thomas Fitzgerald, Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Sestak Fires Back: Dem. Specter Makes Republican Swift Boat Attacks On Dem. Military Veterans (By Brian Beutler, TPM, July 9, 2009)
Gov race: Dem Corzine vs. Repub Christie vs. independent Daggett
- NJ Gov: Internal (D) Poll Shows Corzine Down 7 (RealClearPolitics)
- Christie maintains lead over Corzine in poll (By Cynthia Burton, Philadelphia Inquirer)Â independent candidate Chris Daggett took 4 percent
Special elections in NY are nonpartisan and therefore allow everyone to vote regardless of registration. They favor insurgents and independent candidates.
Goo-Goos To Paterson: Don’t Call 38th AD Special Election (Liz Benjamin, Daily News/Daily Politics)
For more independent news, see The Hankster, where the independents are…