News Headlines for Independent Voters 9/7/09
According to the polls, independents are abandoning unions, Obama and the progressive agenda. Or did the unions, Pres. Obama and progressives abandon independents to the right?
- Labor Unions See Sharp Slide in U.S. Public Support-For first time, fewer than half of Americans approve of labor unions (by Lydia Saad, Gallup)
- Obama is fast losing white voters’ support (By Peter Wallsten, LA Times) New surveys show steep declines in Obama’s approval ratings among whites — including Democrats and independents — who were crucial elements of the diverse coalition that helped elect the country’s first black president. Pew Research crosstabs
- Bleeding Independents (by Charlie Cook, National Journal) Indies support Obama’s foreign policy, not so much domestic…
Good news for Idaho independents (and all voters)! California referendum in June 2010.
- Federal judge wants trial in election suit (By REBECCA BOONE – Associated Press, KBCI-CBS News) Harry Kresky, the New York-based attorney representing the Independent groups who intervened in the case, said he was pleased with Winmill’s ruling, because it means that the Idaho Republican Party will be held to a higher standard of proof if they want to win the case.
- California Election Law Bill News (Ballot Access News)
New Jersey Governors Races
Chris Daggett is giving them a run for their money in New Jersey.
- A positive campaign in the race for governor? (Press of Atlantic City/ Carla Linz Callaway’s Blog)
Colin Powell and Mike Bloomberg marched at the front of the Caribbean West Indian Day Parade today in Brooklyn; Lenora Fulani and the Independence Party are supporting Bloomberg for re-election on the Independence Party line Column C. The Independence Party is the third largest party in New York.
- Colin Powell Endorses Bloomberg at West Indian Day Parade (By KAREN ZRAICK AND JENNIFER 8. LEE, NY Times/City Room)
- Hankster VIDEO from Caribbean West Indian Day Parade with a statement by Lenora Fulani
Health Care Debate: Socialism or capitalism?
As an independent who supported, and continues to support Pres. Obama, I believe that the “debate” over whether health care reform should include a “public option” (i.e., will we make sure that poor people have access to health care in the USA) comes down to a moral issue of whether we as a people are going to take responsibility for how all of us are living, or will we be a nation of “every man for himself”. This is not an issue of big government or whether we can as a nation afford it. We do, however, need a developmental conversation.
- Obama’s in the ER but he’ll get his reforms: The right’s healthcare scare tactics are hitting home – but to little purpose (Andrew Sullivan, Times Online – UK)
- David Axelrod on “Meet the Press” (TRANSCRIPT on RealClearPolitics)
- TV SoundOff: Sunday Talking Heads (Jason Linkins, Huffington Post EXCERPT) Obama’s approval rating among independent voters is slipping. Gregory’s assumption is that independent voters=centrist democrats. I have to imagine that independent voters are souring on Obama’s health care maneuvers because he DOES NOT SEEM TO WANT TO FIGHT FOR THE REFORM FOR WHICH THEY VOTED.
- The Obama Slide (By DAVID BROOKS, NY Times)
For more news for independents, see The Hankster