News Headlines for Independents 9/14/09
Health care debate tide turns — again…
- Obama must prod Demos toward agreement on health-care legislation (By Dan Balz, The Washington Post) The most immediate task at hand for President Barack Obama in his drive to win enactment of health-care legislation is to bring together members of his party behind a single piece of legislation. That is the first step toward a more important political objective, which is to rebuild his and the Democrats’ support among independent voters.
- Study Finds Independent Obama Voters Wary Of President’s Policies (By Ravi Bhatia – Talk Radio News Service)
- Independent-Minded Obama Voters At Odds with Congressional Leadership over Economy and Government Intervention (Resurgent Republic)
- Poll: Support for Public Option Grows (CBS News)
- Editorial: Here’s one way to purify parties (Sacramento Bee) An even more intriguing idea for changing our elections would be to forgo the open primary and switch instead to nonpartisan elections – as we have had for decades at the local level.
- California Republican Party Will Continue to Let Independents Vote in its Non-Presidential Primaries (Ballot Access News)
- State GOP drops push to bar decline-to-state voters from primary (Sac Bee)
- 2010: Year of CA Government Reform? (John Myers, KQED/Capital Notes)
- New York State Democratic Party Chair Hints He Wants to Abolish Fusion (Ballot Access News)
- Dem chair Jacobs eyes eliminating cross-endorsements (By DAN JANISON, Newsday
More news for independents on The Hankster