Technology with attitude

Neil Patrick Harris, Twitterer

Others describe Neil Patrick Harris as the child prodigy TV star of “Doogie Howser, M.D.” and the 36-year-old star of “How I Met Your Mother” and “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog”; the cameo psychopath of “Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle”; the hot host of both this year’s Tony Awards and this year’s Emmy Awards; openly gay icon and role model; the surprisingly accomplished thespian, the Broadway star of “Proof” and “Cabaret” and Stephen Sondheim’s “Assassins.”

But Neil Patrick Harris has a different description of himself: “act some. Dig variety acts, Pixar, puppets, theme parks and great meals.”

That is his bio on his new Twitter account, ActuallyNPH (or as we in the know put it @ActuallyNPH), an account he started on November 16th with the following witty Tweet:

“My first tweet, peeps. I apologize in advance for my slow learning curve. Nice to (sort of) meet you. It’s amazing how quickly 140 charac”

Within hours, he had tens of thousands signing up to follow him. Now three days and only a few more Tweets into Neil Patrick Harris’s excellent Twitter adventure, he has attracted more than 130,000 followers and been “listed” almost 5,000 times. (He himself just follows ten Twitters, including MrPenn from Penn and Teller and Rainnwilson — who has 1,645,492 followers but that’s after 2,142 Tweets — a pioneering Twitterer.)

As of this writing, Twitter novice Neil Patrick Harris has written 23 Tweets demonstrating that he actually is the witty guy that he appears to be, although I have to say, not above promotional and self-promotional 140-character patter. As he says, he lives in “Hollywoodland.” And now Twitterland.

Here is what he’s written so far (I’m putting this from oldest to newest, the exact opposite of the way they do it on Twitter)

4:02 PM Nov 16th from web

Felicia Day is popular. She mentions me and Twitter and Kablammo! http://yfrog.com/15aklrj
7:05 PM Nov 16th from Twitterrific

Holy Pete, so many responses! Thanks, gang! I’m still trying to figure out which button does what..! And this 140 character limit is craz
10:11 PM Nov 16th from Twitterrific

‘Morning. Reading backlog of responses and sipping coffee. How many times should one tweet per day? BTW this character limit hokum is pis
11:03 AM Nov 17th from web

[from alwaysmix]: 这位先生 @ActuallyNPH 你太搞了 你的140 charater limit真的要笑死我了

@alwaysmix : Ah, perfect. Thanks. I totally get it now.
11:13 AM Nov 17th from web in reply to alwaysmix

Prfkt. Thx 4 L th advyc evry1. This s a way ezr way 2 cmuNik8. Un42n8ly, itz takn me 3 hrz 2 ryt, but itz much pre4d 2 gtn cut off lyk i u
12:08 PM Nov 17th from web

On set. Best guest star EVER! The entire cast/crew was super stoked. No one more than me: http://yfrog.com/0w5ostj
6:13 PM Nov 17th from Twitterrific

Ok. So. Now that I’ve figured out this 140 character stuff, get this – Tim Gunn bursts out of his room, walks right up to me and says, “Ne
8:17 PM Nov 17th from Twitterrific

Alright, alright. I’m done with the ‘140 character’ running gag. Sorry, it makes me laugh. But as my wise father Ron always says, “Know w
11:26 PM Nov 17th from web

HIMYM’s 100th episode musical number. Dance steps by Glee’s prod/choreo Zach Woodlee. Cool. Watch me point at him: http://yfrog.com/3nbrocj 10:41 AM Nov 18th from Twitterrific

1:19 PM Nov 18th from Twitterrific

2:22 PM Nov 18th from web in reply to Sigafoos

10:41 AM Nov 18th from Twitterrific

So many super cool responses. A thousand thanks everyone. This is fun. No more 140 character hulabaloo, though. Even I am beginning to ti 1:19 PM Nov 18th from Twitterrific

@Sigafoos – Best idea ever. Do it. Go on. Do it. Everyone’s doin’ it. It’s the cool thing to do. 2:22 PM Nov 18th from web in reply to Sigafoos

Filming dance numbers is taxing!! When watching at home, you forget there were 1,420 thousand takes. I just slipped and nearly broke my co
6:34 PM Nov 18th from web

That @broslife is one handsome devil..! Ah, if only I was… oh wait. 12:02 PM Nov 19th from Twitterrific

At Good News for Kids Gala, honoring my great friend Becky Baeling. She is amazing, as is the Phoenix House organization. Well played, Beck! 10:01 PM Nov 19th from Twitterrific

Listen gang, not all of these teets will be for comedy. Sometimes I have actual things to say. Charity is important. I’ve always said, “Nev
10:30 PM Nov 19th from Twitterrific

Oops. Tweets. W. t-W-e-e-t-s. My bad. Teets are different. They are ALWAYS used for comedy… Apologies.
10:51 PM Nov 19th from Twitterrific

Is asking you to cast a vote for an award show cheesy? If so, we never had this conversation. If not, I would sure dig a vote for this ye about 11 hours ago from Twitterrific

COUGH! COUGH! people’s choiceCOUGH! awardCOUGH! Sorry, must be allergies… about 11 hours ago from Twitterrific

Feeling much better. Wait… ah, Ah… AAHHhttp://www.peopleschoice.co…!! Oops. Anyone have a tissue? about 6 hours ago from Twitterrific

Stacey Keibler guesting on HIMYM. Hot, funny, and talented. I must say, she’s a real quintuple threat. http://yfrog.com/333eaj about 5 hours ago from Twitterrific

Make that @stacykeibler, guys. She just reprimanded me. For spelling her name wrong, not for my pointing at her teets. about 4 hours ago from Twitterrific