Major Parties, Minor Parties and Anti-Parties
Momentum continues to build for open primaries in California, and most but not all partisans (including minor partisans like Libertarians and Greens) don’t support primaries that would allow everyone including nonpartisans to participate in the first round of voting… NYC Independence Party (aka the “anti-party Party” because of its support for nonpartisan elections and open primaries) brought in $65K at Monday night’s Anti-Corruption Awards recognizing grassroots activists. Not a bad follow-up to the 150K votes on the Independence Party line in November’s citywide election for Mayor… Meanwhile, the Working Families Party is under the gun….
- Make party bosses cringe by voting for open primary (By Thomas D. Elias, Mercury News)
- The problem with open primaries (By Richard Winger, San Fransisco Bay Guardian)
- Low turnout? Of course, because primaries are a farce (LETTER Boston Globe) Why do we hold publicly funded elections for private political parties? Why can we not belong to more than one political party at a time? Why is one’s political party affiliation a matter of public record? Does this not violate the premise of the secret ballot?
- Misguided move to the middle (By STEVEN GREENHUT, Special to the Orange County Register)
- Coakley balking at 1-on-1 debates-Rebuffs Brown over exclusion of 3d rival (By Matt Viser, Boston Globe) But Coakley, the state’s attorney general, said she is reluctant to participate in any debates that do not include a little-known independent candidate, Joseph L. Kennedy.
NYC INDEPENDENCE PARTY
- Islander hailed for work on behalf of Independence Party (By KIAWANA RICH, STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE) The Tenth Annual Anti-Corruption Awards ceremony was held last night at Wolfgang’s Tribeca Steakhouse, Manhattan, and the honorees included a Stapleton resident who was recognized for her efforts on behalf of the Independence Party.
WORKING FAMILIES PARTY
- Working Families Party Documents Subpoenaed (By DAVID W. CHEN, NY Times)
For more independent news, see The Hankster