The Decade That Was. The Decade That Will Be.
As the saying goes, “May you live in interesting times.”
On Decemeber 31, 1999, who would have thought that…
- …George W. Bush would be elected president…by the Supreme Court?
- …he would then go on to win two terms?
- …the Twin Towers would no longer exist?
- …we would declare war on Afghanistan and Iraq?
- …Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger?
- …blogging would become such a force in politics?
- …a little known Governor from Vermont could excite millions over the internet, raise millions and become an overnight sensation…but would ultimately flame out because he lacked any true organization?
- …the housing markets would completely implode?
- …credit would freeze up?
- …the world economy almost came crashing down? (Well, besides Peter Schiff.)
- …a little known Congressman from Texas could excite millions over the internet, raise millions and become an overnight sensation…but would ultimately flame out because he lacked any true organization?
- …a little known junior Senator from Illinois could excite millions over the internet, raise millions, become an overnight sensation, outmaneuver Bill & Hill to win the Dem nomination and then run against John McCain and win?
- …Sarah Palin?
- …Obama would win North Carolina?
- …we’re still talking about Sarah Palin?
- …Senator Al Franken?
So then…what do the Tens (or whatever we’re calling them) have in store for us?
Some of my predictions…
- The emergence of a true third way fueled by new social organization tools and a serious candidate with gobs of money who can bypass the traditional campaign finance rules. But it won’t happen until 2016. Because the field will be wide open at that point. And his name will be Michael Bloomberg.
- And yes, I do think Obama will get a second term, but it’ll be a nail biter. Romney will be his opponent, with Bobby Jindal riding shotgun.
- Obama’s lack of a supermajority in the Senate or House will be good for his second term and deficit reduction will be a key focus.
- This blog will still be going strong.
What are yours?