Here are my picks for the top ten concerts coming up in the greater Philadelphia area for Summer 2010, including Sting, Phish, the Dave Matthews Band, Lady Gaga and more.
10. Carole King and James Taylor (6/10 @ Wachovia Center) – Even though “You’re So Far Away,” you’ve still got a friend. 🙂
9. Jimmy Cliff (6/9 @ House of Blues Atlantic City) – Because the Philadelphia area is a wonderful worldÂ full of beautiful people (regardless of what the out of towners say).
8. Phish (6/23, 24, 25 @ Susquehanna Bank Center) – As crunchyÂ as it gets.
7. 102.9 MGK Presents Yes and Peter Frampton (6/15 @ Tower Theatre) – “There’s a word and the word is love and it’s right for me” if “you feel like we do.”
6. Radio 104.5 Summer Show featuring Silversun Pickups with Against Me!, Metric, and the Henry Clay People (6/28 @ River Stage @ Great Plaza) – The lead singer of Metric is sexy as hell, and the Silversun Pickups share the same initials as the band they try toÂ rip off, (though in a good way), the Smashing Pumpkins.
5. Dave Matthews Band (6/30, 7/1 @ Susquehanna Bank Center) – Because “Under the Table and Dreaming” changed my life, bro!
4. The Flaming Lips (7/4 @ House of Blues Atlantic City) – BecauseÂ “She Don’t Use Jelly,” because theyÂ sing about a courageousÂ Japanese warrior girlÂ named YoshimiÂ who battlesÂ a neoplasm ofÂ metaphorical pink robots, and becauseÂ they are performing on the Fourth of July. God bless America!
3. An Evening with Sting performing his most celebrated songs featuring the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra presented by Xerox (7/9 @ Borgata Event Center) – Sting is a golden god and Love Is, indeed, the Seventh Wave.
2. Jack JohnsonÂ To the Sea TourÂ (7/11 @ Susquehanna Bank Center) – Because whether you’re swimming in it, staring at it, or even justÂ basking in its amniotic glow, the Sea is the Source, [bro].
1(t). Santana with special guest Steve Winwood (7/24 @ Mark G. Etess Arena Atlantic City); Jackson Browne with David Lindley (9/4, 5 @ Borgata Event Center); Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers with Buddy Guy (8/1 @ Wachovia Center) – Because all of these musicians are absolute legends in their own right who can do no wrong on their instruments.
* Iggy and the Stooges (8/27 @ House of Blues Atlantic City) – As long as Iggy stops taking his shirt offÂ (because a torso thatÂ was alreadyÂ somewhat gnarly in 1970 has become downright grotesque in 2010);
**Â The Wiggles (8/21 @ Tower Theater) – As long as you attend accompanied by your children and/or inner child.