Video calling is a privilege many would have deemed impossible, about a decade ago.
Now, it is part and parcel of our day to day lives. You can keep in touch with loved ones from wherever you are just like you were there in person. Today, there are many video calling applications, but two of the most popular are Tango and Skype.
This article goes over the pros and cons of each, in a bid to figure out which is superior.
This is an application from which you can make free calls. It is basically a VOIP application that works over iOS and Android devices. This application can be easily downloaded from App Store and Android Market. Tango uses your phone number as your user ID. You will not have to register, to use the app, once you have it installed on your device. Average time for registering a new user is approximately 5 seconds.
This app is very easy to use. It synchronizes with your phone contacts, so you will not have to upload your friend’s contact details manually. You can make calls and send messages for free, as long as you have internet (3G or Wi-Fi). It will use your current data plan.
Skype is the number 1 player in this space. Like Tango, it allows you to make free voice and video calls. The only difference is that it works across a wide variety of devices and platforms. As long as the device is capable of making video calls, Skype can probably work on it. It runs on desktops, laptops, smartphones and tablets. The interesting thing about Skype is that t allows you to make calls to any phone number worldwide, at a small cost. To do this, you have to purchase Skype credit. It is cheaper for those making calls overseas. You can even hold conference calls over Skype, but this is not yet available over mobile phones. You can also chat and send SMS with Skype.
A Highlight of the Differences between Tango and Skype
1. Both support video calling. Tango, however, has a nifty feature that allows you to show your surroundings as you talk.
2. Skype supports more devices. Tango restricts you to Apples and Android devices and not all of them will work.
3. Tango automatically captures the detail of your friends by syncing with your phone’s contacts. With Skype, you have to add your contacts manually. This can take a lot of time.
4. Skype has a proprietary CODEC. It is unique to Skype and cannot be replicated.
5. With Skype, you can chat, SMS and make video and voice calls. In Tango, you can only make calls.
Clearly, Skype has an edge over Tango, when it comes to features and capability. However, Tango is still in its nascent stages and has a lot of room for growth. To effectively complete with Skype, they will have to work on the compatibility issues by bringing in more devices into the fold. An app for PC would be a great start. They should also incorporate chat and SMS capabilities.