Instagram – Most Important Tidbits and Facts to Reckon with
With Facebook gaining momentum as the leading social media website in the world, there was a demand for a website for the sharing of pictures, where users could share pictures and photos for their friends to view.
This led to the introduction of Instagram more than three years ago. Within these three years’ time, this application has gone viral among people across the globe and is now used by more than 80,000,000 people. The number of users of the application keeps growing with each passing day, and is soon expected to cross the 100,000,000 mark. This has also led to its acquisition by Facebook, who saw it as a growing application having immense potential.
Instagram as a Social Networking Application
Ever since the inception of the application in the year 2010, Instagram is considered by most people to be the perfect application for people who love to click pictures of themselves. The pictures, or Selfies as they are formally known as, are then posted on the application for friends to view and comment on. However, the fact that it is also a formidable social networking application can certainly not be disregarded at any cost. Several users of the application have used it as a platform to advertise the services and products that they offer. Event managers and organizers have used the application to promote events and people from the glamour industry have used it to promote themselves and find more work. Hence, users of Instagram have been smart enough to use the application to their advantage.
Interesting Tidbits of the Instagram App
- The application was first released in the year 2010, primarily for iPhone users. Within a month of its release, the application registered more than 1,000,000 users. At this pace, it had a growth rate higher than the famed social networking site, Twitter. Twitter, apparently, needed about two years to generate 1,000,000 users.
- Reportedly, close to 20,000,000,000 photos and pictures have already been shared on the application all over the world. This implies that on an average, more than 55 million pictures are shared on Instagram every single day.
- The application was acquired by Facebook in the year 2012. Facebook paid about 1 Billion USD in both cash and stock in order to acquire the application.
- Popular and world renowned brands like Nike, Starbucks, NBA, Adidas and many others make use of this app to advertise their products, and promote their product campaigns.
- As of 2014, the application is available for all devices running on the iOS 6 and above, the Android 2.2 and above and the Windows Phone OS.
- Third party applications of Instagram are also available for the Blackberry OS 10 and the Symbian OS-run devices.
- The popularity of the application is on the rise with more than 23 percent of the users aged between 12 and 20 years have claimed the application to be the preferred application of social networking, even before Facebook and Twitter.
- The application was named the “App of the Year” by Apple Inc. in the year 2011.