Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8 vs LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z2 – Specs and Price Comparison
It has really been a busy year as far as smartphone production is concerned. This has resulted to be a bigger challenge to consumers who have been been found torn in the middle. I would like us today to take a look at four of one of the best smartphones that have been released in the course of this year and recently. These are HTC’s One M8, Samsung’s Galaxy S5, LG’s G3 and Sony’s Xperia Z2. So, let us start;
- Galaxy S5 has a removable plastic back but the metallic body makes it a bit heavier than it should have been, you will therefore find it with 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm of size and a weight of 145 g. I can actually call it the smallest of the four. The phone also makes use of the fingerprint sensor which is found on the home button and the water resistance feature.
- The LG G3 shocks many with the way the dimensions were optimized to be on the same level with other phones despite its larger screen that is the 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9 mm dimension Plus 149 g. The metallic like plastic back covering does enough to minimize the weight.
- The HTC One M8 is actually heavy with 160 g which is directly attributed to the metallic chassis that gives it a more appealing look. The phone ends up measuring up to 146.4 x 70.6 x 9.4 mm in its dimensions. It also comes with more improved dual speakers that were previously not on its predecessor.
- Xperia Z2 is basically built up of a metallic and glass body so it is the heaviest of this group measuring 163g. The dimensions for this phone are 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm. Sony have made use of the omni-balance and it is also water resistant.
- Some of the other similar features in this case worth sharing with you is; microSIM ports for Galaxy S5, LG G3 and Xperia Z2 and nanoSIM for HTC One M8.
- The LG G3 is arguably the most impressive when it comes to the display. It all starts with its large screen measuring 5.5 inch with the quad HD resolution measuring 2560 x 1440 pixels therefore the pixel density of 583 pixels. This is by far the best number of pixels and pixel density of these smartphones. The image is therefore very sharp plus the image quality is top class which makes it the best in this category.
- Samsung Galaxy S5 also has an impressive display using the Super AMOLED display technology well known for its vibrant colours. The screen measures 5.1 inches with full HD resolution of up to 1920 x 1080 pixels with a pixel density of about 432 ppi.
- HTC One M8 makes use of the Super LCD3 display technology. This screen is actually the least in size with 5 inches but the resolution is still full HD measuring 1920 by 1080 pixels therefore it has a pixel density of 441 ppi. Xperia Z2 comes in with the IPS LCD display technology with a screen size of about 5.2 inches and has also full HD resolution of about 1920 by 1080 pixels with a pixel density of 424 ppi.
- The development of technology has resulted in significant change of our mobile cameras. We start with the LG G3 that has a 13 MP rear sensor and the front sensor has 2.1 MP. Optical image stabilization is still used but it is more advanced being called OIS+, the best thing is the ability of the camera to be focused 276 milliseconds by the sensor.
- Galaxy S5 presents a 16 MP camera with the ISOCELL sensor. It has the ability of recording 4K videos, has an LED flash and also has a 2 MP secondary camera.
- HTC One M8 presents the most unique camera. It is a dual ultra pixel camera that has larger pixel with dual LED flash to ensure ultimate camera focus. You should therefore expect two cameras on the rear of this phone.
- Xperia Z2 has the highest number of megapixels at 20.7 MP with LED flash. It features optical image stabilization and also allows you to shoot 4K videos. The front facing camera has 2.2 MP.
- Performance, Software, Storage and Battery.
- The four Android phones have similar chips and graphics processor but what you will find distinct is the clock speed of the processors. The chip preferred in this instance is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, the processor is quad core and the graphics processor is Adreno 300. The clock speed of LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 is at 2.5 GHz but for Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 is at 2.3 GHz.
- You will find 2 GB of RAM, the common capacity with only Xperia Z2 deviating and having more capacity at 3 GB. However, you can find a 3 GB RAM for the LG G2 if in case you have the 32GB model.
- In the internal memory capacity section the phones will present you with varied models. LG G2 has 16GB and 32GB models, Galaxy S5 has 16GB similar to HTC and Xperia.
- The operating system running in these phones is definitely Android 4.4.2 KitKat version which was the latest at that time. This does not mean they are necessarily the same, each try to outdo the other with fantastic user interfaces. For LG you will find a fantastic one that has unique features such the Knock On feature. Galaxy S5 has its own Touchwiz, Xperia has Sony and HTC has Sense 6.0.
- When it comes to the battery powering the devices Sony Xperia Z2 wins with a 3200 mAh one, LG G3 which has the largest display has 3000mAh, 2800mAh and removable is for Galaxy S5 and HTC M8 closes it up with a 2600mAh one.
- This arguably the first aspect that you would like to check out for before going for that phone. If you want an LG G3 we are talking about £550 which is equal to that of Galaxy S5, Xperia is cheaper at £545 and HTC One M8 costs about £520.
It has been a very tight one with the top class specs we have just seen. There has been lots of similarities and some difference but what matters is that from this evaluation you will be able to known which is the best.