How to Use Windows Update to Upgrade your PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
Most users are keen to see the new features in Windows 10 but before you do an upgrade, know that it is not advisable for your main computer. Instead find a laptop that you don’t use much or another PC that runs Windows 7 to install the technical preview.
Microsoft has recently launched the tech build 10041 after fixing a lot of bugs and making some improvements to the user interface. It is fun to play with the colorful stuff found in the new operating system. Instead of trying to install it completely from scratch, using Windows Update program is a convenient way to upgrade your computer to the latest version of the operating system. The same came be done for PCs running Windows 8.1 as well.
Pre-preparation for Windows 10 Installation
- Run Windows Upgrade Assistant. The software will run a test to confirm if the hardware available on your current PC is good enough to support the tech preview. As Windows is designed to work even on phones with 1 GB or lesser RAM, most computers should easily be compatible with it.
- For computers that are already running Windows 8.1, this step is not necessary.
- Even though, it is your backup computer, make sure there are no important data lying around. The upgrade may delete some of them in the process. Make sure you take copies of those files and check it before starting the update.
How to Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 tech preview?
- Sign up as a Windows Insider. It is for the tech geeks who love to be ahead of everyone else when it comes to testing the best software around. You can get it done within minutes but if you face any difficulties, check out the Microsoft help page.
- Once you are done with it, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download.
- Click on the start upgrade now button. An executable file will be downloaded. Run it and it will automatically detect whether your computer needs a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
- Restart is required. Once restarted, the update will automatically start running.
- You have to authorize the screen so that the required files can be downloaded to install Windows 10 technical preview.
- Another window will pop-up asking your confirmation to upgrade your PC.
The entire installation process can take at least an hour or even more based on your internet speed as well as the hardware specifications. You have to be really patient during this process. The computer will restart multiple times when the installation is being carried out and it is perfectly normal.
Even when the computer completely stalls and looks as if it has frozen, don’t panic and wait for a couple of minutes. If you are too hasty and shut it down, you may have to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 to get it working. The features are amazing but be prepared to face some bumps with Windows 10 as it’s still in its early stages.