Android 5.1 Lollipop is still missing on two stellar Xiaomi devices, the Mi 3 and Mi 4. The MIUI ROM has been launched for some time now, however Xiaomi hasn’t leaked any information regarding the Lollipop upgrade for the Mi 3 and Mi 4 devices. The MIUI 7 can be updated by hand and is still in beta, but the company will soon unveil the final version OTA.
Users can upgrade the Mi 3 and Mi 4 devices to Android 5.1.1 with Cyanogenmod ROM. The nightly edition has been unveiled by Cyanogen, dubbed Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM for the above mentioned gizmos. So keep on reading to find out how to set-up the update.
You have to:
- Make sure your data has been saved.
- Have a full charged device, if not at least 80%.
- Make sure you install Android Debug Bridge on your PC.
How to set-up Recovery via Fastboot
- Start by downloading and then setting-up Fastboot on your home computer.
- Fastboot and ADB must be active.
- Download recovery from the web and include it in the fastboot directory located on the PC.
- Link the Mi 3 or Mi 4 device to the PC (use the USB).
- Click to open the command terminal on the PC and restart it in to the fastboot mode by entering ADB reboot bootloader.
- Once the gizmo restarts in the fastboot mode, write fastboot devices on the command terminal. This will mean your device will be identified by the system. Note: If you cannot locate your device, try re-installing the fasboot once again.
- Type fastboot flash recovery img. The recovery_imagewill be changed with the recovery image filename you downloaded earlier.
- Once the procedure is complete, restart the device into recovery so that you can check the installation process. Do this by holding Volume Up and the Power knobs at the same time. Keep on holding until you see the MI icon/logo pop-up.
How to set-up CyanogenMod 12.1 from Recovery
- The Cyanogenmod ROM file must be downloaded.
- Add the file on the root of the device storage.
- Hold the volume up & power knobs of your mobile device and wait for the MI logo to show up.
- In TWRP, choose Menu and click on backup to create one.
- Pick Wipe and Factory reset.
- Go to Install and then choose the CyanogenMod Zip file you copied.
- Stick to the screen prompts.
- As soon as the installation has been complete, restart and choose System.