Save WhatsApp History From a Smartphone To Another
Nowadays, WhatsApp is a constant presence in people’s lives. But when you decide to get a new phone, you must transfer your WhatsApp account to it. The only drawback is that the older messages are not part of this transfer. Luckily, this guide is here to help and show you how to relocate your messages to your new mobile device.
Basic instructions for backing up WhatsApp messages and transferring them to a brand new gizmo:
- Click on Settings, click Chats and calls and Chat Backup.
- Your device must be linked to your computer (via a USB cord) and from there go to the device’s internal memory, you should be on the lookout for the WhatsApp/Database. See all of your saved files stored here with a marked date and time, this is the format you should be looking for: msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt.
- Copy your latest folder/file on the computer (attention the name will be different).
- Set-up WhatsApp on your new device (note: do not enable the app right away).
- Next you have to link this new device to the computer (use the USB again) and if you already set-up WhatsApp on the new device, you should easily find the WhatsApp/Database, if you can’t find it, create a new one.
- Copy the saved message file into the latter folder/file.
- Enable WhatsApp on your new device and check your mobile number, a notice might pop-up right about now informing you of the new message backup, next click the Restore knob and that’s all.
Important: currently with WhatsApp’s most recent update, Google Drive backups are possible, thus you can easily transfer WhatsApp chats from one device to another, here is how it’s done:
- Go to menu (3 dot image), Settings, Chats and Calls, Chat Backup (you can do it by hand or automatically), as soon as the app is set-up you will receive a prompt asking you to restore all of your chats and other files from Google Drive.