Samsung to Release a Foldable Smartphone in 2018
The Galaxy S8 is already in the stores while the Galaxy Note 8 is already shipping to some of the users that have pre-ordered it. According to some new rumors, Samsung is planning to release a foldable smartphone in 2018.
During an event in Seoul, DJ Koh has mentioned that such smartphone is planned to be in the next year’s portfolio. Koh added that the device will also arrive sometime in 2018, but he has not mentioned when exactly.
We have to mention that this is the first time when the Samsung executive has said something about a Galaxy handset with a foldable screen. It is not sure if any of the existing Galaxy series will get device like this or if the company plans to release an entirely new branch.
During the mentioned press-conference, Koh also expressed gratitude to the loyal fans of the Galaxy Note series. It seems that over 650,000 phones were pre-ordered in the first five years, meaning that the Galaxy Note 8 will probably exceed the 800,000 orders until Friday. This means that the new Note handset has managed to get doubles pre-orders when compared to the Galaxy Note 7.
The Galaxy Note 8 has been ordered across 40 markets, including Europe and the US. The 64GB variant of the device costs $930 in the US, while the Europeans will need to pay €999 for it. However, early owners will also receive a Samsung DeX bundle with the device.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Specifications
- Dimensions: 162.5×74.8×8.6mm;
- Weight: 195 grams;
- Display: 6.3-inch super AMOLED that supports a resolution of 2960×1440 pixels at 521 ppi (protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5);
- Chipset: Exynos 8895 Octa (EMEA) or Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (USA & China);
- Processor: quad-core Samsung M1 CPU clocked at 2.3GHz and a quad-core Cortex A53 CPU clocked at 1.7GHz (EMEA) or quad-core Kryo CPU clocked at 2.35GHz and a quad-core Kryo CPU clocked at 1.9GHz (USA & China);
- RAM: 6GB of RAM;
- Graphics card: Mali-G71 MP20 (EMEA) or Adreno 540 (USA & China);
- Internal storage: 64GB, 128GB or 256GB;
- External storage: up to 256GB using a microSD card;
- Primary Camera: 12MP dual-primary camera that features dual-LED flash, geo-tagging, OIS, touch focus, face detection, panorama;
- Secondary camera: 8MP;
- Battery: 3300 mAh (non-removable).